Joseph Pilates: quotes from a genius
"Just as a good smooth running automobile engine is the result of proper parts correctly assembled so that it operates with a minimum consumption of gasoline and oil with comparatively little wear, so too is the proper functioning of your own body the direct result of the assembled Contrology exercises that produce harmonious structure we term physical fitness reflecting itself in a coordinated and balanced tri-part unity of body, mind, and spirit." -- Joseph Pilates
Long story short... Pilates trains our bodies to move efficiently. It can turn an old clunker of a body into a nice smooth ride. That's an invaluable benefit to those whom we teach. Isn't it amazing to watch a beginning client, who once gripped his way through the Footwork Series on the reformer, eventually glide the carriage back and forth with the strength and control of his powerhouse? Isn't it cool to see the look on his face when he realizes that, what once seemed to require a tremendous amount of effort, he can actually breathe and flow through?
Mr. Pilates continued to say, "This in turn results in perfect posture when sitting, standing, or walking with the utilization of approximately only 25% of your energy while the approximately remaining 75% in the form of surplus energy reserve is "on call" to meet the needs of any possible emergency". Yes, what our clients do in the Pilates studio with us translates into their everyday activities. That's huge and noteworthy! And because we live in an image-obsessed society where women strive for Madonna's arms, Fergie's abs and J-Lo's butt, I love to re-direct people's focus onto how they move and feel better in their body as a direct result of Pilates. No, not everyone will achieve the "long, lean dancer's body" that people associate with Pilates. But they will undoubtedly experience what it's like to live more fully in their body. That's a gift!
Rock Your Powerhouse!